Happy Friday and welcome to June y’all! The last few weeks have gone by so very quickly for us in our household. Days filled with fun times out of town with “friend family”, celebrating milestone birthdays, engagements (Congrats Edwin & Robyn!), Pre-K recitals, planning birthday parties, “End of school year” events, mixed in with working on our “property renovation” when we can, and absolutely NO time for rest. These days there’s also been a lot more rain than usual here in Texas. Not that I’m complaining since it’s welcomed on our hot days.
Rain always has me craving comfort food and cuddles but…..I also live in Texas, which nicely put is “STUPID HOT” and in these summer months, this means the weather is not really conducive to cuddling but there’s always comfort food to lean on!
Today I would like to introduce you to my “Go To” one skillet comfort food recipe. This skillet chicken pot pie has interchangeable ingredients (today we’re working with butternut squash) and best of all this recipe features already cooked chicken from a grocery store rotisserie chicken. Hopefully you know the magic that is possible from the grocery store rotisserie chicken?! From easy enchiladas, chicken salad, chicken nachos, chicken tortilla soup, to chicken pot pie and so much more 😉 maybe I’ll even dedicate a few blogs to it’s magic if you’d like?…. comment below if you’d like me to share the grocery store rotisserie chicken love with you.
Now I know how much we all value our Friday’s so I won’t keep you much longer, let’s get to it shall we….
SKILLET CHICKEN POT PIE WITH BUTTERNUT SQUASH
YIELD: 6 SERVINGS ACTIVE TIME: 30 MIN TOTAL TIME: 1 Hr.15 MIN
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 cup frozen white pearl onions, thawed
- 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh sage
- 1 small bunch kale, center ribs and stems removed, leaves chopped
- Kosher salt, freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 small butternut squash, peeled, cut into 1/2″ pieces (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 1/2 grocery store rotisserie chicken, meat torn into bite-size pieces (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 1 sheet frozen puff pastry (I used Pepperidge Farm), thawed
- 1 large egg
**butternut squash can be subbed out for carrots and peas, zucchini, summer squash, corn, broccoli, or several other vegetables**
- Place a rack in upper third of oven; preheat to 425°F. Heat oil in an 8″ cast-iron or other heavy ovenproof skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add onions; cook, stirring occasionally, until beginning to brown, about 4 minutes.
Reduce heat to medium-low.
- Add garlic and sage to skillet and cook, stirring occasionally, until garlic begins to brown, about 2 minutes.
- Add kale and season with salt and pepper. Cook, tossing often, until wilted, about 4 minutes.
- Sprinkle flour over. Cook, stirring constantly, for 4 minutes.
- Stir in broth, 1/2-cupful at a time, then add squash.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer until squash is just softened and broth is thickened, 8-10 minutes.
- Add chicken to skillet, stir, and season with salt and pepper.
- Unfold pastry and smooth any creases; place over skillet, allowing corners to hang over sides.
- Whisk egg and 1 teaspoon water in a small bowl.
- Brush pastry with egg wash; cut four 1″ slits in top to vent.
- Bake pot pie until pastry is beginning to brown, 15-20 minutes.
- Reduce oven temperature to 375°F and bake until pastry is deep golden brown and crisp, 15-20 minutes longer.
- Let cool for 10 minutes before serving.
Now welcome to your “warm hug” on a plate with a side of mashed potatoes, Enjoy!
I have just a little reminder, Father’s Day is just around the corner AND don’t forget about my partnership and promotion with JORD Wood Watches. You have until June 11th to enter. That’s ONLY 10 more days!! and these watches make for the PERFECT Father’s Day gifts! Click on this Contest link: https://www.woodwatches.com/g/loveofallofthethings to enter your name and email (it takes 2 seconds!) This will enter you for a chance to receive $100 off of a watch of your choice!! Let’s say you’re not the lucky one that get’s the $100 off You’re still a winner in my eyes, which means I’m going to make sure you still receive a little token of my appreciation for your follow by sending you $25 off of your order with JORD.
Now go! Be free! Enjoy your weekend!
Until next time Lovers!